My Ottoman

Hi All,

I finally got the chance and courage to recover my ottomans.  We used these as a coffee table in the past, but I have a new use for them now.   Ok, it looks like these were attacked by an angry dog, but no, my son got to them over the course of 4 years.  He started picking at the seams and finally tore a little off.  Then, he started pulling it apart piece by piece.  He has even used it as his Hot Wheels garage.

This is the before picture:

Picture 001  Picture 005

It’s all beat up, but I couldn’t toss them because it was still a solid piece.  It just needed a little TLC.

I attempted to recover this last year, but I got stuck.  I unscrewed the four visible screws at the bottom (thinking that was all to it), but I still had a hard time prying the base.  I couldn’t figure this out, so I just left it alone and moved on to the next project.  Basically I had too much to do, and didn’t have time to think about this.  Well, do I feel stubid now…a year later.  The base had 12 more screws left…..LOL! No wonder.

Picture 009  Picture 011  Picture 013

Each leg was secured with two screws and once that was released there was yet another screw attaching the base board to the bottom of the cube.  Finally, I got this off!

The next decision I had to make was how was I going to attach this fabric? Should I just drape the fabric over the cube and staple or should I pull out the sewing machine?  Well, I decided to pull out the sewing machine and make it look a little more polished.

Picture 017 Picture 019  Picture 022

First, I had my little one help me with the tape measure and it’s 13 1/2″ X 17″ and I added a 1/2 inch seem allowance on each side.  Then I marked the measurements off on the wrong side of the fabric and cut away.  Now, I can not cut a straight line to save my life, so I tried using the measuring stick to drawing the lines. I also used the first piece as a template.

Picture 025

I pinned the right sides together and started sewing the four sides together, then I pinned the top.  This part takes a little patience only because of the corners and once I pinned the top piece I did a continuous stitch around the top.  Turned it inside out to check the corners.

Picture 029  Picture 030  Picture 031

Picture 033  Picture 035

I will tell you, I cut away the old leather because it would show under this new fabric, but I left the leather on the sides because it was sturdy. I just slipped this baby right over the cube, adjusted the corners and seems to align with the leather and  I turned it over to staple.  Then I attached the base and feet.  After, I did all this, I realized I probably should have painted the base, but it was took late.  I decided to use my Minwax stain marker in Ebony 2718 to touch up the wood.

Picture 036 Picture 042

I decided to use these at the end of the dining table.  My son loves to sit here for dinner.  Now I need to figure out how to Scotch Guard it.

I know I could have made it a little easier by just draping and stapling, but I like it this way.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “My Ottoman

  1. Wow! You did such a great job! I have a similar ottoman that’s ripping and re-covering it is on my to-do list. BTW re: scotchguarding – I have purchased Scotch Guard in a spray can and used it on many fabric products. I think it’s as simple as that! Good luck. 🙂

  2. Love the fabric choice! Looks professional and very well made! It takes me awhile to garner enough courage to tackle some of my to do list, but you seriously blew that out of the water!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s